Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Journey 9/14/10

This is a trip!  I am hooked up to the machine that separates my stem-cells from my blood.  Its a centrifuge that is able to separate the different parts of my blood.  Frankly I dont really need to know any more about it than that.  




 Today is day -13 until transplant.  I have been having to check into Presbertian/St Lukes every morning since friday to get these shots called Nupegen.  It is similar to the Nulasta shots that I have been taking after each chemo round.  It also is a white blood cell booster, but this is short acting.  Where as the Nulasta works over a week or two period.  The shots ups all my blood cell levels to get ready for this beast.

   At the risk of sounding like a broken record, i've been trying to write down the things that I have felt like been milestones or significant mental challenges.  Today is one of them.  Watching my blood come out and cycled through this machine is doing two things.  One, realizing just how cool modern medicine is and two, just how fragile life can be.  Seeing my blood spin through this thing is surreal.  We are fortunate to be living in a time that we can treat these conditions.  This treatment wasn't here a generation ago.  Thats a scary thought in its self.  But reassuring also!  

   Needless to say im feeling a little drained right now.  Ill up date soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment